Forgive me for being kind of late to the whole skinny jeans/leggings/jeggings party. I was too caught up in my own snobbery of how other people wore that look to actually give it a try myself. I’m not always a fan of the latest styles, unless they flatter my body shape and are something I can keep in my closet for the next several years.
Then I caved. I bought a couple pairs of leggings when I was preggers because they looked so comfortable, and I HATED my maternity jeans. They were my favorite wardrobe staple; obviously, because I wore holes in both knees of leggings.
And, just last month, I got — hold your breath — a pair of high rise jeggings from American Eagle. Hot diggity, what have I been missing all these years? These jeggings feel like wearing my most comfortable pair of sweatpants, I can tuck them into boots easy peasy, and they are warmer to pair with all my tunic tops than just old leggings or tights.
There are a couple of styling tips I’ve learned about leggings and jeggings that are *imperative* to follow, especially if you are short and, ahem, curvy like I am and don’t want to look like a denim pear shape:
- Choose tops that balance out the “skinny” look of leggings and jeggings. You can’t put on leggings and then pull out any old t-shirt that is also form-fitting to go on top. Unless you are 5’9″ and severely lacking in the curve department, you’ve got to balance out form fitting leggings with looser, flowy, longer tops. Think soft blouses, tunic tops with or without a belt, oversized sweaters, and short dresses. I’m also not comfortable showing off every aspect of my butt in leggings by wearing normal length tops. Leggings and jeggings should NOT be worn like normal pants.
- Embrace those skirts and dresses that, without the aid of a pair of leggings or jeggings, would look just a bit over the top. 😉 There are lots of skirts that I love the look of, but, unfortunately, I don’t think they look good hitting me 3 inches above my knees without leggings or jeggings.
- Leggings and jeggings are just so darn comfortable. I’m not a big fan of dresses because of my body shape, and I don’t like my movement being restricted by only wearing skirts/dresses. I love me a good pair of jeans, too, but good jeans are hard to find, and my good pairs wear out over time. Leggings and jeggings are always easy to find and easy to wear.
- Leggings/jeggings also look good on most body types. It’s a body friendly look, even if you are more self conscious about your legs/waist/hips/breasts; leggings and jeggings help you feel and look seriously sexy.
- Leggings and Jeggings are summer AND winter friendly. You’ve just got to switch up your tops, and perhaps switch over to cropped leggings/jeggings in the summer.
So, there you go. Quite a few different reasons to go to your local mall and buy a couple pairs of leggings or jeggings. It’s an easy look to transition into if you are feeling your wardrobe needs a fashion update, and it’s easy on the wallet, too.